I recently compiled a playlist featuring choral and group singing taken from 78s, microgroove LPs, audio cassettes and CDs.
The playlist was broadcast on 3MBS Digital, Saturday 24 June, 2017, running 8pm-9pm from Melbourne, Australia. The radio programme is presented by rebetika whiz Con Kalamaras and is titled Off The Map. Every Saturday night Con delves into rare and unique recordings from around the globe. Check it out!
Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/offthemap3mbs/
June 24th edition of Off The Map, as well as past programs: https://3mbs.org.au/programs/off-the-map/#past-programs
The complete playlist is available for listening below.
- Te Arawa E (Arawas Arise), Rotorua Maori Choir, recorded April 23, 1930 in Rotorua, New Zealand.
Photo of the Rotorua Maori Choir, April 1930.
- E Rere Ra Te Matangi (Maori farewell song), St. Joseph’s Maori Girls College Choir, 1974.
- Maringa Ai, Rotorua Maori Male Quartette, recorded April 24, 1930 in Rotorua, New Zealand.
- Uia Mai Koia, Mihi Waikare with the Waiata Maori Choir, recorded in London, 1938.
- ‘Tha ntolka tjoraramanga, Hermannsburg Ladies Choir, recorded in Tamworth, July 1993.
- Mayatjaluni kanyilpai (The Lord Is My Shepherd), Ernabella Choir, 1979.
- Sunday Morning In Taunga, Taunga Methodist Church Choir, recorded in Taunga, Vava’u, 1978.
- National Anthem (God Save the King) and Tongan National Anthem, Tonga Methodist College Choir, recorded in Sydney, April 3, 1928.
- Je vous salue Marie, Saint-Paul of Mahina Choir, Tahiti, French Polynesia, 2006.
- Himene Tatou, The Tahitian Choir, recorded on the Island of Rapa Iti, 1992.
- I Tatou Romai, Tubuai Choir, recorded on the island of Tubai, 1993.
- Isa Lei, Jubilee Methodist Church Choir, Suva, recorded Sydney, 1952.
- Nkosi Sikeleli Africa (God Bless Africa), Imilonji Kanju Choral Society, 1998.
- The Lord’s My Shepherd, Alexandra Methodist Church Choir, c. 1950s.
- Setsepise Ngoanan, Aliwal North Sesuto Choir, taken from The Secret Museum of Mankind Vol. 5: Ethnic Music Classics 1925-48.
- Inqaba Yami, Izikhova Ezimnqini, 1998, from the Gallo CD album Gospel Spirit of Africa.
- Abakwagaza (Men of Gaza), Shangaan Choir, taken from The Secret Museum of Mankind Vol. 2: Ethnic Music Classics: 1925-48.
- Indaba Yomkonto, Hope Fountain Girls’ Choir, taken from The Secret Museum of Mankind Vol 3: Ethnic Music Classics: 1925-48.
- Aetwawannakwekonhak (Lauda Sion Salvatorem Choral XVIII sc. (Strasbourg), Iroquois Mixed Choir Caughnawaga, P.Q., c. 1950s.
- Il Bel Mazzolino, Squadra Di Bel Canto, taken from The Secret Museum of Mankind Vol. 4: Ethnic Music Classics 1925-48.
A blog post on Excavated Shellac with information on the trallalero singing style from the coastal region of Liguria: https://goo.gl/hnGbtN
- Kalinka (Snowball-Tree) Russian Folk Song, Chorus Directed by V. Sokolov, recorded in Sydney c. 1950s.
- Christos Anesti (Christ Has Risen), Christos Vrionidis and Theological School Choir, Brookline, Massachusetts, USA, 1955.